I noticed that I could not visit my demo pages when I was using LTE/3G. My browser got 404 or other errors when I was on cellular network.
I assumed my cellular provider’s nameservers were not uppated when I modified my DNS records.
I browsed again this afternoon and discovered that my cellular provider did manage my cellular data connection and block Safari access to progressive download video!
HLS from CDN was ok:
I got the same result using Chrome:
Dolphin with Desktop Mode was able to access all videos. Thanks God!
It was highly suspicious that my cellular provider employed some network-based traffic managements (e.g. transparent proxies) to control cellular subscriber access to mobile video in order to reduce both cellular and overseas data traffic!
I reviewed the html code that Safari got and found out that the code was modified by my cellular provider!
The IP address 22.214.171.124 is assigned to SmarTone Telecommunications.
Popular sites such as Youtube and Apple are likely on cellular provider’s whitelist in order to allow subscriber access and minimize service impact.
Even thought LTE supports up to 100Mbps similar to FTTH service, but my cellular connectivity is not as CLEAN as my landline broadband services!
I am glad that my iPhone 5 works fine with my home wifi!
Not all broadband services all created equal!
I wanted to create a simple website to show how to use CDN. A that moment I only had my iPhone and I found there was an app M.dot. I thought it was a good idea to use it to create my first mobile-optimized website.
Very easy to use. M.dot creates websites as well as provides hosting for Free! The hosting service is even equipped with CDN! Site statistic is available. It also supports virtual domain. Pretty cool!
Photos can be uploaded from library or Dropbox. Photos will be optimized for mobile. For video one can now add Youtube only. It does not support ftp or html editing. Maybe fee-based services in the future?
Here is my mobile site:
At the end I applied a domain at Hover and hosting service at GoDaddy. I copied the content from my mobile web page, used PaintText to edit it. Cached some contents on CDN and then uploaded the web page via FTP.
The following URL is a simple showcase how CDN improves web objects download:
Here is a Firebug result of the above-mentioned URL:
The red box highlights the load times of three identical files from different sources:
cheungwaikin.com points to GoDaddy server in Singapore. 2.62 second to get the file from it.
wpc.6af4.edgecastcdn.net points to EdgeCast CDN. 0.824 second to get the file the CDN.
customerorigin.cheungwaikin.com points to EdgeCast CDN too. 0.926 second to get the file.
Internet transmission performance is varying. One gets different load times at different times. However the result shows in general CDN delivers content much faster than customer origin server.
Thank M.dot for the interesting app and service😄